Gers Defeat Aberdeen By Four Goals At Ibrox

RANGERS extended their unbeaten start to the Scottish Premiership season to 15 matches with a powerful win over Aberdeen at Ibrox this afternoon.

Super goals from Ryan Kent and Kemar Roofe had the Light Blues comfortable at half time before Scott Arfield and a James Tavernier penalty rounded off the scoring in the second half.

Indeed, it’s now 13 league clean sheets for Steven Gerrard’s men as their defensive record continues.

Gers began the game on the front foot, and ought to have been ahead inside three minutes. Super work from James Tavernier saw him cut in from the right and put Ryan Kent through on goal. Dons ‘keeper Joe Lewis came out to spread himself well, however, and deflected the ball behind for a corner.

Scott Arfield then tried to slip Joe Aribo in, but the ball just got away from the Nigerian midfielder and again Lewis was there to smother the ball.

The goal was coming, of that there was no doubt, and when it did on 15 minutes through Kent, it was a thing of stunning quality.

Picking up on halfway, Kent jinked away from Funso Ojo superbly, kept driving forward and then let fly from 30-yards out.

Lewis has had some outstanding performances against Gers in the past, but he was nowhere near getting a hand to Kent’s incredible, dipping strike which kissed the inside of the left-hand upright on its way into the back of the net – that being his sixth goal of the season.

Minutes later, Gers ought to have had a penalty with Ojo coming through the back of Kemar Roofe, but referee Nick Walsh waved away the protests of the home players.

After doing well to thwart a series of Aberdeen corners, where they are always a danger with the height and physicality in their side, Gers made it 2-0 thanks to that man Roofe.

Connor Goldson played yet another super ball out of defence down the right for Roofe to get on the end of. From there, he danced his way across the 18-yard line, leaving Dons defenders in his wake before firing past Lewis for his sixth of the campaign to hand his side a deserved cushion.

Arfield thought he’d made it 3-0, poking home a rebound from an Aribo effort, but the flag of assistant referee Douglas Ross was up to deny him.

In the final minute of the half, Allan McGregor did well to hold onto a Matty Kennedy free-kick as the Light Blues saw the game out to 2-0 at the interval.

Into the second half, and Alfredo Morelos set Scott Arfield up for a shot at goal from just inside the area, but Andy Considine was there to block.

Seconds later, on 49 minutes, Arfield did get his name on the scoresheet for the fifth time this season, this time with Kent the man to set him up.

Kent cut in from the left this time and played it for Arfield, and with the aid of a wicked deflection off Ash Taylor, his shot ended up in the back of the net.

Rangers were rampant now, and on 53 minutes, they were awarded a penalty with Considine penalised for fouling Leon Balogun inside the area.

Up stepped that man James Tavernier to send Lewis the wrong way to make it an outrageous 13 goals already this season for the skipper.

Tommy Hoban cleared a Tavernier header off the line at the back post when sub Ianis Hagi stood the ball up for him at the back post, while fellow sub Cedric Itten fired wide when a Tavernier corner dropped to him inside the area.

Lewis then made an excellent save high to his right to stop Matty Kennedy scoring an own goal from a Gers corner, while Itten headed a Tavernier cross wide in injury time.

4-0 is how it finished, however, with Gers moving on to face Benfica in the Europa League on Thursday.

RANGERS: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Barisic, Aribo (Itten, 74), Jack (Davis, 56), Arfield, Kent (Kamara, 66), Roofe (Hagi, 74), Morelos (Defoe, 66)

SUBS NOT USED: McLaughlin, Bassey, Helander, Barker.

ABERDEEN: Lewis, Logan, Hoban, Considine, Leigh, Ojo, Hedges, Taylor, Cosgrove, Edmundson, Kennedy.

SUB: Woods, Devlin, Hernandez, Campbell, Gallagher, Ngwenya, Ramsay, Duncan, Main.