Match Report: Motherwell 0-5 Rangers

RANGERS beat Motherwell 5-0 to pick up another three points in the group stages of the SWPL Cup.

A first-half double from Brogan Hay and free-kick from Lizzie Arnot had Gers in control at the break before Jane Ross and Arnot added to the scoring in the second-half at Alliance Park.

Malky Thomson named two changes to his side from Thursday evening’s friendly against Chelsea as Demi Vance and Zoe Ness came into the starting XI with Chantelle Swaby and Tessel Middag on the bench.

Rangers started brightly as Thomson’s side looked for an early breakthrough. Chelsea Cornet picked out the run of Brogan Hay on the right and she drove towards the by-line before picking out Kayla McCoy inside the box but her shot was blocked by the home side.

Zoe Ness was first to test the keeper in the eighth minute as Sam Kerr found the Rangers forward on the edge of the box but her shot was held comfortably by Khym Ramsay.

Rangers did get the all important breakthrough in the 20th minute, Lizzie Arnot’s cross across the face of goal was touched towards goal by Jane Ross. Ramsay pulled off an impressive save to block the shot but Brogan Hay was quick to react to tap home the rebound.

Just two minutes later Hay had her second as Rangers capitalised on a good spell of pressure.

Kayla McCoy, in her first competitive start for the club, skipped beyond the Motherwell defenders down the right to cut into the box before the ball broke for Hay who drilled a low effort beyond Ramsay for her second of the afternoon.

The Light Blues netted their third goal in six minutes after a foul on the edge of the box saw them awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position. Lizzie Arnot stepped up to the set-piece and curled a right-footed effort into the back of the net.

With 10 minutes to go until the break, Arnot almost had her second of the game as Kayla McCoy laid the ball off to her in the box but her shot was held well by the Motherwell goalkeeper.

Malky Thomson made one change at the break as Chantelle Swaby replaced captain Brianna Westrup at centre-back, with Nicola Docherty taking the armband for the second-half.

Kayla McCoy thought she had her first goal for the club as she tapped home the rebound from a Jane Ross shot early in the second-half but the linesman had his flag up for offside.

The hosts were looking for a route back into the game as Gill Inglis saw a shot saved by Jenna Fife before Doran-Barr’s header from a corner was cleared off the line by Sam Kerr.

Lizzie Arnot came close to adding a fourth as her shot dipped just over the bar, before Academy youngster Jodi McLeary also saw an effort just off target.

With 10 minutes of the match remaining Rangers did get that fourth goal as Lizzie Arnot drilled a low cross across the goalmouth, with Jane Ross on hand to convert for her fourth goal her first two competitive games with the club.

The Light Blues added a fifth in the final stages at Alliance Park as Lizzie Arnot drove towards goal and lifted an effort over the keeper and into the back of the net.

RANGERS: Fife, Vance (Watson, 65), Westrup (Swaby, 46), Docherty, Kerr, Arnot, Cornet, Ness, Ross, Hay, McCoy (McLeary, 72).

Subs: Cunningham, Middag, McLauchlan.

Motherwell: Ramsay, Connor, Crosbie, Watson, Inglis, Potter, McDonald-Nguah, Napier, Hay, Callaghan, Cairney.

Subs: Crichton